Everybody Wants Somethin': Part II

That's So Raven's Home: For Children, Yesterday and Today 

             In my previous entry, I detailed two basic principles that can be used as a framework for discussion on reboot television. I argue that the quality of a reboot can be framed within how it utilizes its shared experience and how it defines its content for its audience.

            When thinking about recent reboot television shows, a distinction emerges on whether the new show is for the original or a new audience. While plenty of adult shows have been rebooted, I find children’s television reboots particularly compelling when considering shared experience and the for dynamic. For this entry, I will consider a program that shifted from their original audience of children to a new audience that consists of today’s children: That’s So Raven / Raven’s Home.

            That’s So Raven was the first live-action Disney Channel series to go beyond the channel’s infamous 65-episode rule. No matter how popular, a show was required to end at 65 episodes, but That’s So Raven broke the mold and went on to an even 100 episodes ending in 2007. Ten years later, Disney and Raven-Symoné rebooted the series as Raven’s Home running from July 2017 to present.

It is my humble opinion that Raven’s Home is one of the best children’s programming reboots. This show made quick work of getting their minimal amount of catchphrases out of their system and establishing what happened in Raven and Chelsea’s life since That’s So Raven ended. That’s So Raven was for me, but I am happy to say that Raven’s Home is not. The focus of the new show is the characters of Booker, Nia, Tess, and Levi – the children of the show. They drive the plot as the characters that the new audience of children can relate to. This show feels like a reboot only because of the connecting content of Raven, Chelsea, and the psychic premise. You certainly do not need to have watched That’s So Raven to watch Raven’s Home. This element is important because many of the new audience were either infants or not yet born when That’s So Raven premiered. With Disney+, they can go back and watch that series, but it is not required. If they do watch That’s So Raven, it only increases the meaning of the show that was created for them, Raven's Home.

While I argue that Raven’s Home is not for me, I still watch the show. I, personally, will watch children’s television for the rest of my life. It is something I am passionate about and get great comfort from viewing. I believe it has the greatest power in shaping generations; therefore, there is a great deal of responsibility that comes with making television for children. While I enjoy watching Raven and Annelise on screen again, more importantly, I enjoy watching a new, quality show that had the foresight to not be made for me.

For these reasons, shared experience is used to connect one product with its reboot to transition to a new audience. While Raven, Chelsea, and the occasional That’s So Raven guest star make up Raven’s Home, they are there for three reasons: 1) to provide those characters for the few adults still watching the show (though secondary to the kid characters), 2) to transition the show to the new audience, and 3) to serve as the creative pulse of the show. I mentioned in my first post on this topic the of/by/for of creative products. In this case, we need Raven and Chelsea. To continue
this story, I would trust no one other than Raven as producer, and Raven and Chelsea, as characters, transition the heart of the show.

When Raven’s Home premiered, producers knew that if the show were successful, the majority of the original audience would slowly move on. They would tune-in to see where Raven and Chelsea’s story led, then they would leave the show for this next generation. We would, after seeing ourselves in the now-adult characters, gladly pass the torch and let four rather impressive child actors take it from here.  

I have created this chart to encapture these ideas as I talk about different shows.
Consider it a hint of pieces to come!









Popular Posts